This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 8672

uglystick
of small blocks and actual power...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   2:26 PM     

welp,

i'm back from europe. wierd place. opel astra 1.6l's can go 130mph. yeehaw.

starting work on the jag conversion this week. i've got the radiator and oiling system lined up, got the conversion kit, will be ordering the tci 700r4 and stall converter within the week.

i'm also doing my buy in for venom nitrous/injection in the next week. if anyone needs anything like NOW i'll sell at rate one time only to help suppliment my buy in.

looks like the rice fags have taken this place over. how sad. maybe i'll have to go fiddle around on the import board, as i got my 11:1 (best guess cr math) big six built last night. should be ready to drop in with headers and bellhousing assembled within the week.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
MrPeabody

Re: of small blocks and actual power...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   5:14 PM     

Sweet dude, I can't wait to get up there and check out the projects. Some of these guy aren't rice fags, most of them are turbo Hondas, and the GSR hatch is pretty sweet, I know, I rode in it

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
uglystick
Re: of small blocks and actual power...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   5:28 PM     

i was actually referring to other people here, not your buds from fresburg.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft EFI w/ Haltech E6k; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
uglystick
compromises can be a bitch...   Posted Wed Sep 3, 03   11:31 AM     

well,

after much deliberation over the last two days, i'm sad to say that the jaguar will not be getting the sidedraft efi system that i had planned. it's simply not in my budget to pull it off. instead i'll be going with quad weber sidedrafts (45DCOE's). the bottom line aside from money (it costs roughly 4x the amount to run the efi instead of carbs, no bs...the fuggin air horns are $78 each for the efi throttles), is that i don't have the time or effort available to conceal all of the efi wiring well enough to make the engine compartment look as clean and show quality as i would prefer. and the performance gains are minimal.

so my sig down there is a liar...to some extent.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft EFI w/ Haltech E6k; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
BlownGTP

Re: compromises can be a bitch...   Posted Wed Sep 3, 03   11:50 AM     

well, as long as your goal is still 185 mph i dont mind

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
uglystick
Re: compromises can be a bitch...   Posted Wed Sep 3, 03   12:05 PM     

actually at this point, my goal may be faster than that. i would love to take the car to bonneville in the coming years to actually test it out and see what's doable. minor work on the suspension will make it easily capable of staying stuck to the ground at excessively high speeds. hell, i saw a lakes roadster do 185 last year with a basic sbc and gears. open wheeled and all, and this car is shaped like a fuggin 'vette.

wait a minute, salt + british car....hmmmm ;-) lol.

jason (omit EFI w/ E6k from sig below ;-)

MrPeabody

Re: compromises can be a bitch...   Posted Wed Sep 3, 03   1:29 PM     

Ok, sell me the fuel management. Or are you still planning to throw it on a turbo BMW?

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
uglystick
Re: compromises can be a bitch...   Posted Wed Sep 3, 03   2:17 PM     

yup turbo bmw. but i'm buying in with haltech within a month or so, so i can still sell you an e6k or the higher tech e11 w/ 3d fuel/ignition mapping.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
uglystick
progress!   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   11:08 AM     

well,

i've got the engine compartment prepped, motor mount brackets installed. should be buying a LOT of parts tomorrow. Oil pan, windage tray, new pickup, march pulley set (twin serpentine), trans, tc, tv cable, etc. in the next few days i'll be doing a lot of odds and ends like installing spacers between the subframe and frame rails for hood clearance, fuel system setup, etc.

i'll send along some photos asap.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
LethalToy

Re: progress!   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   9:33 PM     

hood clearance?

why doncha just go 'glass with a bubble? or cutout?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
uglystick
Re: progress!   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   9:39 AM     

well a bubble won't help me in the long run. the only clearance issue i'm going to have is with the double pumper. but that'll be gone for the sidedrafts within a month or two.

jason

uglystick
Re: progress!   Posted Mon Sep 22, 03   2:43 PM     

more sidedraft photos:

[External Image Removed]

[External Image Removed]

[External Image Removed]

jason

LS4_454
Re: of small blocks and actual power...   Posted Mon Sep 22, 03   6:39 PM     

Were did you find that manifold? I would like something like that for the Rat.

uglystick
Re: of small blocks and actual power...   Posted Tue Sep 23, 03   10:01 AM     

fred larsen of bonneville fame welded it up for me. unfortunately he passed away about 6 months ago and moon has discontinued the manifold. it was only available for sbc's, not bbc's.

there is a link below for fred's memorial. just a few highlights of his career up front:

he broke land speed records every decade since '50; he was one of the three guys who designed the first shelby cobra (dean mooneyham and carrol shelby were the other two); fred wrecked a model a roadster at 200mph in '57 and got 180 stitches across his face and head. the car had lost a rear wheel, inverted and literally dragged fred across the flats upside down and backwards. talk about a tough sob. the link below shows him standing next to the busted car with his bloody helmet in hand, head bandaged up like a war hero. he was out the very next year shooting for a record again.

i'm proud to own a manifold he designed and actually manufactured with his own two hands. he was the head machinist at moon until his death. they say he still had three unfinished moon fuel blocks on his desk (a design that dean mooneyham came up with in high school!!).

the link: http://www.mooneyes.co.jp/fred-e/

[External Image Removed]

this photo of fred (right) and the larsen-cummins streamliner which broke the FIA land speed record in '92, fred at the wheel, 3.1 liter v8 under the cowl, 313mph on the clock.

jason

jonorme
Re: of small blocks and actual power...   Posted Wed Sep 24, 03   12:27 PM     

My Graphics teacher at school goes to bonneville every now and then, races bikes that he built