This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 2329

Arribous
Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sat Sep 27, 03   8:03 PM     

Hey everybody,
Just joined today, love the site and group here. Just wanted to see if anybody loved car mechanics as much as I do. Despite my obession with it, I only have a basic knowledge of car mechanics, but would love to learn more if anyone is willing to teach. I don't have a car (I'm not even old enough to drive yet, only 15), but I love to work on them. Well, enough babblin'. Great site and great group of people here.

hooyeah
Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   1:12 AM     

first advice i can give you take a class most schools (around here atleast) offer one start off slow learn what you can keep an open mind and talk to people we're all willing to teach as long as you're willing to learn

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
jonorme
Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   4:41 AM     

Hey, welcome to the site, jus keep on readin and researching on cars and a class would be a gr8 idea

MrPeabody

Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   11:03 AM     

Hello and welcome. No matter how much I researched cars, the most I ever learned was while actually wrenching down and tearing one apart. That just happened to be a 73 Chevy Nova with my dad.

Still, read up on everything you can, the internet is a great place for car info

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Arribous
Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   3:18 PM     

Thanks for the info. I'll take a class if I can afford it >_<.
On another note, since I'm a bit of a newbie, how do you guys feel about Civics in general? I mean, do they make for good racers or are they over-hyped crap? Again, thanks for the info!

MrPeabody

Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   4:11 PM     

Civics’ are a bit tricky. In general terms they don't exactly have the best layout for a performance car, i.e. front wheel drive. However, they have a huge aftermarket support, so parts will be more abundant and cheaper than others. Another plus is they are a great platform to build on as far as stability and craftsmanship. Honda makes very well built cars, which are extremely reliable.

What do you want your car to do? Is it going to be a purpose built drag racer intended to smoke everyone you meet? If so go with an older muscle car, which is pre smog. The parts are cheaper and the power is easier to obtain.

Do you want a more all around car that can go decent in a straight line and also turn well, plus get you back and fourth to school and work every day without any fuss? If that’s the case than a civic would be a great car.

What it basically comes down to is what do you like? If you like civics’ more than other cars than get one and wrench on it. Hell, if you like Yugos’ more than other cars wrench on them, do what makes you happy.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
hooyeah
Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   5:37 PM     

personally i hate civics, they make great cars i jsut hate them

and the class should be free if it's offered by your school

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
LS4_454
Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   9:36 PM     

Try to go to a trade school, there are some in Arizona and Wyoming, maybe some others too. They can lead to a great career. I went to Arizona Automotive Institute in Phoenix and got placed in a BMW dealer, the rest is history. If you go to Universal technical Institute in Phoenix they have a program that leads you directly to BMW and you get the same training as the BMW techs and possible placement at a dealer. It is a great program and after spending about 9 months you have taken enough classes that would have taken you about 5 years to do while working at a dealer. It is good for you and good for the dealer, you come out being trained on the latest and greatest.

Phatmatt

Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Wed Oct 1, 03   9:05 AM     

I agree. You learn FAR more by getting hands on with a car (hell you may find you don't even like engines as much as you THINK you did.) Find a place where you can get some schooling. I never took a single class though, I got all of my know how from screwing around on my own and hanging out at a local garage. Go ask and see if they need help at a nearby auto garage.

Civics? I've seen many that are all show and no go. Civic doesn't make an ideal dragster. However they are lightweight (especially the pre 95 hatchbacks, I'm told) and as someone said earlier have plenty of aftermarket parts. I considered getting one for a daily driver for a while but have decided to wait a while (I don't really have room for 3 cars right now... or money).

Civics aren't bad cars at all, but they don't always make the best race cars. However with enough time, money, and effort you can make them quite fast (but you can with most cars). Do I like Civics? Yes. Do I think they are over-hyped? Yes.

MrPeabody

Re: Any other mechanics lovers out there?   Posted Wed Oct 1, 03   9:07 AM     

Good rule of thumb, always listen to the guy with a 12 second minivan

*edit* WTF? I posted this in the other thread... weird. Ah well, goes either way

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]

Edited by MrPeabody (Wed Oct 1, 03   9:08 AM)