This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 5102

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Arribous
What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   11:40 AM     

Those of you who know me know that I don't have car, so what kind of car would you reccomend for me? Basically what I need is a large selection of aftermarket parts, a 'ricer' type of look after you mod it a bit, Something that is not too expensive, and there is a large amount of used avalible. Oh, yeah, and it needs to be able to make for a good dragster, maybe not as good as a Chevelle, but formidable. Any help is appreciated!

MrPeabody

Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   11:53 AM     

Well, don't think your goal should be a "ricer" look

If you want a straight up drag car, then I’d suggest an older muscle car, like a chevelle or nova. Build up a 350 V8, it'll be real cheap and there are gobs of parts out there.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
jonorme
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   12:43 PM     

Yeah definately not a 'ricer' look

Focus Cosworth:
[External Image Removed]
uglystick
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   12:46 PM     

and if you insist on a japanese car, find one of the few that are rear wheel drive and you've got a substantial advantage at the track over your FWD breathren.

these cars would be like a datsun 510, nissan 240sx, etc.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
Arribous
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   6:48 PM     

heheh. I didn't know that any parts were around for older cars...(guess I really am a n00b when it coomes to cars). Actually, I do know that the older cars can have some huge hp (I've seen a Chevelle that had 800+!). But, here in podunk 'lil Colorado, the only racing community is ricers. Do you think I could beat them with an older muscle car? I'd never hear the end of racing a ricer and losing . Those guys may be arrogant little punks, but they can talk some shit. I guess having a more modern looking car is fairly important, I mean, I don't even know how good of a stereo you can put in a Chevelle. Thanks for all of your help with the car suggestions! I'll especially look into the Chevelle!

hooyeah
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   7:07 PM     

an engine thats been around for 40 years building up aftermarket parts... yeah theres tons of em

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
LS4_454
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   9:29 PM     

There are plenty of parts for older cars, just pick the right car, not something like a AMC. You can put any stereo in any car, some cars just require more cutting, but I would go with the new digital 8 track. Any car can be made to be fast, a VW bug (old air cooled) can be made to be fast, and yes, beat a Chevelle.

Phatmatt

Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Wed Oct 1, 03   8:57 AM     

ok Arribous it's going to sound like I'm yelling at you.... but I'm not.

You're obviously very new to the world of auto racing. What you have seen is probably "auto Ricing" (you guys like that? I JUST made it up.) The guys you've seen probably don't really have cars that are all that fast. They probably have cars that they've put money into their looks that appear fast.

You don't have to be a dumbass like them. Find a car that YOU like and then put money into the engine NOT the lights, paintjob, and bodykits. You can potentially make any car fast I own a Minivan that does the 1/4 mile in 12.75 seconds (if you aren't aware how fast that is ask someone).

I'm not sure how much money you have or what kind of cars you like but here is some advice. Lights, Body Kits, and paint won't make you any faster. Get a car you can work on. Civics, Integras, and Eclipses can all be made to be fast cars with enough money put in them.... but so can Caravans, F-150s, Crown Victorias, and Geo Metros.

we can talk about this more laster. just e-mail me if you want phatmatt_jonny@hotmail.com

Arribous
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Wed Oct 1, 03   2:15 PM     

Yes, I am very new to the world of auto racing. Yes, I know that a 12.75 sec is VERY fast. Yes, I know that looking fast is easier than GOING fast. I guess I should clarify a little about my goals in racing. I want to have a car that can run a good 1/4 mile, THEN worry about cool looks. Looks weren't my priority in the first place (although I guess it kinda sounded like it) but they were an end goal. My motto is, and has been since I was 12, "Go, then Show."

"To err is human, but to really screw things up requires a computer."

www.mutedfaith.com
Phatmatt

Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Wed Oct 1, 03   9:05 PM     

Then there is hope for you! Right on man. There is something I have to say first though that is VERY important. I HIGHLY suggest that before you even start driving you take serious time to become a better driver. I'm just talking about driving the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws. I tried to go to far to fast my first year of driving and payed a price for it, but it could have been MUCH worse. Put in plenty of driving time before you even think about stepping on the gas and seeing what you can do. Also I don't think that any kid should have more than one other person in there car at a time because Kids drive REALLY REALLY bad when there are more people in the car (take that into consideration). This is so true. I did it, my friends did it, some adults I know still do it. So basically I want you to get in some SERIOUS drive time before you try anything. ....ok now that I've got all of that out of the way, lets get down to bussiness.

Since you live in CO I'm going to assume you get crappy huge ammounts of snow just as I do. This makes having a really nice car more or less out of the question (unless you can afford a winter car, which I doubt you will). This may even mean that a front wheel drive car COULD be a better choice. Granted front wheel gives you a disadvantage at the track, but has saved my ass in the snow several times. If you could get your hands on an All Whell Drive car you'd be even better off though (although your insurance would go up).

Lets think about how much cash you have right now. If you can barely afford to pay for the actual car, building one to race may not be for you. you need MONEY to build up a car. I make decent money but still save up for parts. The faster you want to go, the more you'll need to spend.

ok now lets talk about spacific cars. What have you thought of? What do you like? What's important to you? How much money will you have to spend on a car? (consider that you'll have to probably pay at least 200bucks on it every month for insurance too).

read all of that, think about it and get back to us. This ought to make a good starting point.

hooyeah
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Wed Oct 1, 03   10:48 PM     

if you have an oddball car that runs 12s in the 1/4 you WILL look cool no matter what whether it be the vrown vic f150 or geo metro you will look cool

Arribous
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Thu Oct 2, 03   5:15 PM     

Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to have someone on my side in cyberspace.
Anyway, regarding all you said about car safety. I TOTALLY agree with you! I can't tell you how worried I am whenever I get into a friend's car (I'm the youngin' in my pack of friends) and tries to do a neutral drop right off the bat! Or he cranks up the radio real loud, so he can't hear anything but Bruce Springsteen. Yeah, I'm learning from the mistakes of my friends, and I take note of everything when I'm a passenger. A sample of what goes through my head in the car: (didheslowdownenoughforthatsign, ishegoingtoofast, thatturnwasreallywide) and so on and so fourth. I'm also looking into taking a driving school course. As far as cash goes, my father (after the divorce he got a really high-paying job) has promised to get me a used car for my 16th birthday. I'm doing my part to find a good, inexpensive car that will last a while (hence my constant Civic plugging). And for parts, I'll be getting a job soon, and I'm saving all of that money to buy parts with.

As far as what I'm interested in, I want to start by upping the hp of a car. Somebody told me this was the most important stat of a racer (is that true?). I want to get the most out of the engine, without replacing the engine block itself. I'll tear anything else out, suspension, transmission, you name it. I eventually want to get a turbo for my car (although I admit I have no idea how to put one on). I heard a turbo almost doubles your hp. Then, I want to get a weight reduction. A lighter car accelerates faster. Maybe some exhaust, but that probably has minimal impact on hp. After all that is done, THEN I'll work on a body kit, new paint job to cover the body kit, jack the height down a little (not too much, I live in CO afterall), maybe neon (maybe not. Its really hit or miss with people), then (providing I can afford it) some nitrous oxide. So there you have it, my dream car. Again, thanks for the support!

"To err is human, but to really screw things up requires a computer."

www.mutedfaith.com
Satanismycopilot
Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Thu Oct 2, 03   6:04 PM     

you might as well skip the wieght reduction and just put the body kit on because the body kit will negate(sp?) and other type of wieght reduction you do. and go for nitrous first as it is FAR cheaper then a turbo. nitrous is the best bang for your buck. if you really wanna build up a car hardly anyone does go for a 80's Cougar or Tbird because it is based on the same chassis as the hatchback/notchback mustang all parts are interchangable and u can build on hell of a sleeper. no expects a fast as hell Cougar w/ a 393 Stroker Windsor in it.

Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Thu Oct 2, 03   6:41 PM     

he doesnt want your damn fords jeez :-) jsut kidding man

seems like you have the will now it's time to learn

yes hp is important but as uglystick will be able to further explain it's all about how the entire car is setup as a whole the gears match the tranny matching the cam ect...

and for a civic i've heard it's probvably cheaper and more convenient just to change the entire engine

MrPeabody

Re: What's the best car for me?   Posted Thu Oct 2, 03   8:26 PM     

Not really cheaper at first, but definitely way more potential. Getting rid of the crappy SOHC US mill and throwing a DOHC from a jap Civic or Integra actually gives you a good engine to build on. Granted the SOHC motors can be made to go good, the DOHC's are just plain better.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Pages in this thread: (1) 2